7. THE BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT
All believers are entitled to and should ardently expect and earnestly seek the promise of the Father, the baptism in the Holy Spirit and fire, according to the command of our Lord Jesus Christ. This was the normal experience of all in the early Christian Church. With it comes the enduement of power for life and service, the bestowment of the gifts and their uses in the work of the ministry.
• Luke 24:49 [KJV/NIV]
• Acts 1:4 [KJV/NIV]
• Acts 1:8 [KJV/NIV]
• 1 Corinthians 12:1-31 [KJV/NIV]
This experience is distinct from and subsequent to the experience of the new birth.
• Acts 8:12-17 [KJV/NIV]
• Acts 10:44-46 [KJV/NIV]
• Acts 11:14-16 [KJV/NIV]
• Acts 15:7-9 [KJV/NIV]
With the baptism in the Holy Spirit come such experiences as:
• an overflowing fullness of the Spirit, John 7:37-39 [KJV/NIV], Acts 4:8 [KJV/NIV]
• a deepened reverence for God, Acts 2:43 [KJV/NIV], Hebrews 12:28 [KJV/NIV]
• an intensified consecration to God and dedication to His work, Acts 2:42
• and a more active love for Christ, for His Word and for the lost, Mark 16:20